BlessingsInTheMire

Blessings In The Mire was chosen for this blog because it is the name of my recently completed NON-fiction book, that book that did NOT win in Writer's Digest's 74th annual competition. I'm shocked.... lol. I will be releasing chapters of this book, morsel by morsel and you can look into the deep shit, err, uh, excuse me, I meant 'mire' of my life, if you like. First, I must figure out HOW to do this. Wish me luck and remember that I am open to your expertise.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Suicide, New Orleans, Oprah

Wednesday, August 29, 2007, Oprah will cover the issue of suicide, specifically, increased rates of suicide following the horrific Katrina event that still plagues all of us. It makes me happy that Oprah is filling this void, going where others would likely shudder and turn away from. It has long been my focus, this dark and taboo subject of "suicide". It has been the "theme" around which my live revolves ever since July 1995 when my own son took his life. "Took his life" sounds homogenized, not nearly as brutal as the truth. Even "suicide" is not harsh enough for the reality. The word suicide implies a brutal act, but leaves out the cause, the emotion of sadness, the space for grief. People generally do not choose death because they expect death to be a charming alternative to life. People choose death as an escape 'from' not as an entry 'into'. Suicide is the last resort, the final act. It is the back against the wall. It is the absence of support. It grows, a weed of interpreted inescape from the grips of pain. I know this. This is my truth. And I only hope that Oprah's spotlighting of the increase in suicides in New Orleans will also turn to highlight the absolutely inexcusable way this government has responded to the needs of her constituents. I'll be watching Oprah; do us proud.
On another note, the Blessings in the Mire website has now connected with Amazon.com and a portion of the proceeds from all sales that come through http://www.BlessingsInTheMire.com will go to help PREVENT SUICIDES. That means that anytime you want to make a purchase on Amazon, if you will go to http://www.BlessingsInTheMire.com and click on the "PRODUCTS" tab on the navigation bar, then click onto any one of the many products listed you will be taken to Amazon.com. No matter what you purchase from Amazon, we will receive a percentage which means that every single time you shop on Amazon, when you go through http://BlessingsInTheMire.com you will be helping prevent suicides. We think it is a noble cause. And Amazon has an incredible selection of almost anything one could ever want! Did you know that Amazon is now even selling food?? Check out our 'celestial selections' of gourmet foods through http://www.BlessingsInTheMire.com. And please send all of your friends there too! You could be helping to save a life. Not bad for a day's work...or shopping!
At any rate, please set your DVR to record Oprah on Wednesday. Maybe we can all learn to see the problem of suicide before it happens to affect us on a very personal level.
Much love and light.
Jan Deelstra, author Blessings in the Mire

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home